Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Violation of Terms

It's been a busy couple of weeks since I got back from South Africa. I worked 10 events in the first two weeks back, mostly the 2010 version of Superliga along with a couple of Astros games. What has happened to that team?
One of my rules for the blog was to never talk about the Astros or Rockets, thus the title "Outside of the Loop" since both of those stadiums are inside the Houston 610 Loop.
I worked an event on Monday night at the Toyota Center that has to be mentioned. As is the rule a lot of times in our business, we get offered a corporate event, the pay is good and the work is usually easier than a regular game. I showed up on Monday to do a two camera, screens job, not knowing any details. After I got there, they told me it was a classic rock concert.
Yes I can now say that I've worked the World Classic Rockers show in the summer of 2010. It was an "All-Star" band comprised of former members of Toto, Steppenwolf, Santana, Journey, Boston, and Lynyrd Skynyrd. Wow! Of course these were members that replaced original members of the band after they had already made their names.
At best it was comical, at worst it was tragic.
As Toto said, "Love doesn't always come on time!".
www.wcr.com
I saw Foghat in college and loved that show. In the early '90's, they were playing in Houston and I spent $6 or $8 to see them at a club. When I walked in, all the members but the drummer where roughly my age. It was confusing because I'm pretty sure that Foghat didn't form when all the members were 10 years old. Aging rock is tough. All the members of the WCR were at least their well into their 60's!

No comments:

Post a Comment